What Is Juvederm?
Juvederm is manufactured by Allergan, which also offers 3 formulations: Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus and Juvederm Voluma. All of these dermal fillers fall into the category of a hyaluronic acid gel injectable. Not only is hyaluronic acid made naturally in the human body, but has also been used to treat wounds during eye surgery and been used to relieve joint pain. It wasn’t until 1996 when hyaluronic acid was used for the first time for facial tissue augmentation in Europe.
Is Juvederm Approved?
Yes, Juvederm was approved by the FDA on October 22, 2013. Based on the clinical research collected by the FDA, they have found that Juvederm can be injected safely into the nasolabial folds to effectively smooth wrinkles and to add volume into the cheeks.
How Does Juvederm Work?
Juvederm is injected into facial tissue to help replace the volume that is lost due to aging, disease, or damage cause by the sun or from smoking. Hyaluronic acid plays an important role inside the human body; its primary function is to maintain skin hydration and volume. Studies have shown that the effects from a single treatment of Juvederm can last up to 12 months. Some results have lasted as long as 2 years.
Which Areas Can Be Treated With Juvederm?
Juvederm can be used to help treat:
- Lip Augmentations: To increase the volume of your lips and to help plump naturally thin lips.
- Nasolabial Folds: Also known as “Smile Lines”, the folds that start at the bottom of the nose and continue to the corners of the mouth.
- Vertical Lip Lines: Many patients develop these lines due to exposure to the sun, age, and simply because it’s the area on our face that moves the most. Many smokers often develop these lines that appear just above and around the mouth.
- Marionette Lines: These lines that turn downward from the mouth and go to the chin.
- The “11s”: The wrinkles that appear above the nose just between the eyebrows. While most patients will achieve their desired look with a single treatment, some patients may need an additional treatment in order to get the natural look that is long lasting.
Which Juvederm Formula Is Best For Me?
Juvederm Ultra is used most often to treat the sensitive areas of the lips and around the mouth.
Juvederm Ultra Plus has a more robust formula which work well when treating the nasolabial folds.
Juvederm Voluma will add a subtle lift and volume to your cheeks to help restore a more natural looking contour for up to 2 years.
Is Juvederm Compatible With Other Dermal Fillers?
Yes, any Hyaluronic Acid gel dermal filler such as, Juvederm Voluma, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane, Restylane Silk, Restylane Lyft, and Perlane are all compatible.
What Are The Risks/Side Effects?
The risks and possible side effects include:
- Temporary redness or swelling at the injection site
- Slight discomfort and bruising
- Treated areas should avoid excessive amounts of sunlight
- Extremely cold temperatures should be avoided until any swelling has cleared
- To decrease the chance of bleeding at the site of injection, it is advised to avoid taking ibuprofen, aspirin or any other substance that will thin the blood
- Patients are asked to avoid any form of strenuous activity for up to 24 hours after your treatment
For a complete list of side effects and possible risks, please consult with a medical professional.
Patients that are pregnant or breastfeeding should seek treatment as there has not been enough research done to know how this treatment will affect the infant.