If it seems like everyone has discovered the secret to perfect lashes, they haven’t. They just got lash extensions and you can too. If you’ve tried all the mascara formulas, exhausted all false lash options, and gotten endless lash lifts but you’re still not getting the boost you’re looking for, lash extensions can be the solution. However, you must do your research. That’s why today we will tell you everything you need to know about eyelash extensions, the trend that everyone wants to try.
What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Lash extensions consist of applying synthetic hair fibers, which are thick and heavy, or natural hair fibers, which are light, soft, natural-looking, and comfortable, to each eyelash with the help of surgical glue. As you can imagine, this is a time-consuming process that requires attention to detail and skill.
How Are Eyelash Extensions Applied?
The first step of the process of eyelash extension is to choose the right eyelash shape and size, which depends on your eye shape and the kind of look you’re going for. Your eyelash technician will guide you and choose the best option for you.
Once that’s done, you will have to lay on your back and they will place protective pads over your under eyes and lower lashes. Then, your eyelash technician will use their tweezers to take each individual eyelash, apply adhesive, and then place it one millimeter above the root of your natural eyelash.
If you go for volume lashes, the only thing that will change about the eyelash extension process is that they won’t apply one eyelash at a time. Instead, your eyelash technician will glue a few eyelashes together to make a tiny fan, and then they will carefully apply that to your natural eyelashes.
To recap, your eyelash technician will:
- Make an evaluation and decide which eyelashes are most suitable for you.
- Clean the eye area.
- Apply protective pads.
- Start the process of eyelash extension.
- Let the eyelashes dry and then remove the protective pads.
The Pros of Eyelash Extensions
There are many good reasons to consider eyelash extensions and here are a few of the most powerful pros of eyelash extensions:
- They look amazing. Eyelash extensions provide that dramatic look that mascara can’t provide and they look a lot more natural than false lashes.
- They don’t require much to look amazing. With eyelash extensions, you won’t have to worry about applying mascara anymore because you’ll have the look you want after one appointment.
- They save time. Applying makeup takes time, but when you have eyelash extensions, there’s one less step to worry about. Not to mention you won’t need much of an eye makeup look to feel your best because the lashes are doing half of the job.
- They last. Eyelash extensions last up to 3 weeks, but if you get regular refills for the eyelashes that fall out on their own, you will be able to rock eyelash extensions for longer than that.
- They are customizable. You will be able to choose the kind of look you want, which can be as natural or as dramatic as you’d like.
- The application doesn’t hurt. Eyelash extensions don’t hurt at all! The process is time-consuming, yes, but it’s painless and you will be comfortable.
- They are waterproof. Though you can’t wet them during the first 48 hours, you will be able to wash your face, shower, swim, and sweat after that.
The Cons of Eyelash Extensions
However, not everything is perfect! Eyelash extensions also come with a few cons you need to consider, so here’s a list:
- There’s a risk of irritation and infection. The biggest risk of eyelash extensions is irritation and infection. However, this can be prevented by trying the adhesive on the back of your hand first for a patch test. You can also request an adhesive that’s free of latex and formaldehyde, which are the most common irritants.
- They can be expensive. Eyelash extensions have an average cost of $100 to $300 for the first set and the refills will cost from $50 to $150.
- They are time-consuming. The process of applying eyelash extensions takes a while, so you have to carve up to 2 hours of your time for the first session and at least an hour for refills.
- They can potentially damage your natural lashes. This is a risk even if your eyelash technician doesn’t apply them properly. They can cause breakage because of the weight and rubbing or scratching can also cause damage.
- The fallout will be uneven. Eyelashes grow at different rates, so that leads to uneven fallout, which is why you’ll need refills. This also means eyelash extensions are a bit high maintenance.
Do eyelash extensions ruin natural eyelashes?
They can cause damage if they are not properly applied because they are heavy, so they can break your natural eyelashes if they’re not placed correctly. They can also cause damage if you rub your eyes or pull on the extensions. However, if you go to a professional eyelash technician and you take care of the eyelash extensions, they won’t ruin your natural eyelashes.
How long do eyelash extensions last?
On average, they last 2 to 3 weeks. With refills, they will last a lot longer and you’ll be able to rock them for months until your natural eyelashes grow and you have to replace the extensions.
Can you wear mascara with eyelash extensions?
Not really. You can only wear mascara on your lower eyelashes and only if the formula is water-based or for eyelash extensions. Avoid waterproof or oil-based mascara because it will dissolve the adhesive.
Now that you know everything you need about eyelash extensions, all you have to do is research and find a good eyelash technician to do the job. You’ll end up with gorgeous, full, and impressive eyelashes!
*Information in this article is not medical advice and may not be factually accurate. It is intended for entertainment purposes only. Consult with a physician before attempting any tips in this blog post and to get the most up to date factual data about any procedure or treatment.